One of two missing students found dead

4 02 2008

UPDATE: The other missing student, 15-year-old Mohd Arif Abdul Rahman was found.

Posted By rajlira On 4th February 2008 @ 00:03 In Local

Two boys said to be pulled by currents while swimming in the sea at national park

FOUND: Zaid’s body is taken to the national park centre.

BINTULU: One of the two Form 4 students who were on a study tour to Similajau National Park, about 30 km from here, and feared drowned on Feb 2, was found about 3.45pm yesterday by a team from the Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) and an emergency and rescue team on three jet skis.

The body of 15-year-old Zaid Mohd Dzulkhairi Julaihi was found some 200 metres from where he was last seen at 12.20pm on Saturday.

The other boy has been identified as 15-year-old Mohd Arif Abdul Rahman.

The search and rescue (SAR) teams formed by the police, marine police, Bintulu Port team, Shell, and Rescue 991 went into action soon after receiving news about the missing boys on Saturday afternoon.

Bintulu police chief, Superintendent Sulaiman Abdul Razak, who led the SAR teams, said they searched the jungle, beach, shore, sea, and also from the air.

“The SAR is still on, and we are using all means to locate the second boy,” he said, adding that Mohd Arif who was also believed to have drowned, had yet to be found.

On how the SAR moved, he said they used two helicopters belonging to the police and Shell, police boats and jet skis.

The two boys were among 30 Form 4 students of Kolej Tuanku Haji Bujang at Tanjong Lobang, Miri who had just completed their Penilaian Menengah Rendah (PMR) examinations last year.

Their study tour to the national park was organised by the school, and they were minded by two teachers and six senior students.

When asked why a group of 30 students were only guided by two teachers (a ratio of 1:15), Sulaiman said: “That was what we were told. We need to check further on the actual number of teachers in the tour.”

It was also alleged that the group arrived at the park about 9am that day, and walked seven kilometres through the jungle to Turtle Beach I. The walk takes three hours.

Zaid and Mohd Arif were said to be swimming in the sea, and though the water was only chest-deep they were pulled by strong currents.

Another student was said to have tried to stop them from drifting out, but he too experienced some difficulties.

A Shell helicopter based in Miri was sent to take part in the search. Coincidentally Zaid was the son of a Shell worker in Miri.

The search for the boys started as early as 5am yesterday (second day). On the first day, the search was called off due to heavy rain.

It was also said the parents of both boys were with the search and rescue team since day one.

According to Sulaiman, the search continued yesterday despite the darkness.

“The weather was kind to us, so we went on,” he said.

Article printed from The Borneo Post Online:

URL to article:




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: